Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Internet - Boon or Bane?

Definitely a bane when it comes to work because I have students who think I'll believe that this came out of their a**es heads...

"When doctors withdraw life-sustaining treatment like feeding tubes from severely incompetent patients, it should be morally recognised for what it is - euthanasia, where death is foreseen with certainty."

... when they usually write like this...

"Euthanasia shouldn't be legalise as it is likes murder."

Hello! Am I red, wrinkly and chipolata-like? Do I look like I was born yesterday??? *slap-slap-kick-student-across-room*

But when it comes to parenthood, it's definitely a boon because I'm just so clueless.

Blogs are the best because you get to read what other moms have actually TRIED on REAL kids, and you know straight away whether it worked with their kids. Sometimes they blog about how they would do it differently and they even give suggestions. Lagi best. It's like Straits Times food reviews - no need to eat bak kut teh from Changi to Tuas to find the best. Just follow Wong Ah Yoke!

The blogs I like to check out are Ling's and Angeline's. Their posts on activities to do at home are labelled under Baby Education and Montessori, respectively. My sister, Dawn, has also posted some ideas under Art Projects and Music and Dance. She works with children so she has tons of ideas on how to play with them. I also like Pilgrim Parent's blog. I don't know her at all, but she blogs about fun stuff to do with kids under this label - Activities.

You don't know how much I need all these ideas. After a whole week of dealing with 18-year olds and thinking of interesting issues for them to discuss in class (gay rights, globalisation, media influence...), my brain returns to its normal pea size on Saturday mornings, and I become a boring, uninspired, how-long-can-the-TV-babysit-my-kid-before-his-ears-bleed parent. *sigh* My brain hurts.

So I'm going to leave the thinking to those wonderful people above and I'm going to copy... shamelessly!

Thanks guys, you've saved my brain. ;)

Here's Trinity playing a very simple game of "which cap fits which bottle?".


Here's Sophie making strawberry jellies.

Here's DN adding an egg yolk into a cookie mixture. (Yup, we tried it yesterday, but haven't finished making the cookies -_-... will explain more in the next post.)




Here's the final product of a simple "pasting" activity my sister blogged about.

No comments: