Thursday, January 15, 2009

Disneyland :: day one

I highly suspect there's a corelation between the proximity of one to a train station from which one is to depart in the early morning and well, erm, complacent pig-headedness. Because our hotel is just 20 seconds away from King's Cross St Pancras station, we collectively fluffed about in the hotel room until 7.45am when PF and I went, "!!!!!" and flew about the room packing bags, baby and ourselves up. Our train was an 8.30am one and you have to check in 30 minutes before departure. I don't know why, but we ALWAYS make it just in time. We seem to be constantly collapsing in relief on trains and planes. Not good. It's highly stressful and causes hairfall, so please don't try this at home kids.

I'm not going to say anything about the 3 hour train ride except, "Gee, I just LOVE taking long rides in a confined space with a toddler who hasn't really learned all his social cues yet. Can't wait for the train ride back."

We reached the Marne-la-Vallee Chessy station at about 12.30pm and my first thought was, "Oh crap. Maybe Disneyland wasn't that good an idea. I hope it gets warmer tomorrow." Of course it didn't. It got colder in the days to come instead. @#$$@!! I swear, someone up there is trying to get me for lying about my weight (and height!) and sneak-packing food at buffets.

DN was okay though.

We boarded the shuttle to our hotel (that's what it looks like below... yup, it's a themed cowboy hotel) and tried to check in but were 2 hours too early, so we collected our park tickets and headed straight to Disneyland.

We got there with 20 minutes to spare before the daily parade started. DN was truly truly bored just hanging around and waiting (for nothing, it seemed to him), but we managed to secure a pretty good spot along the road so we weren't going to budge. Here's Mr What's-The-Big-Deal before the parade started...

and Mr This-is-the-best-day-of-my-life during the parade. Seeing this smile almost made my frostbitten toes worth it. Erm, okay, maybe not.

After the parade, we went on the Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast ride and that marked the first of our 4 days of QUEUEING. That's what they fail to tell you on the Disneyland website, and that's why 1 day is never enough because you spend half of it in a blasted line. I found myself doing quite a bit of mantra-chanting over the next 4 days, "All for the baby. All for the baby. All for the baby." Thankfully, we didn't have to queue for It's A Small World, and DN really liked this one! He started dancing in the boat towards the end of the ride.

Can you spot what's wrong with this picture?

Yes! The exposed ceiling boards and floodlights! I know it looks dark in the picture but the entire place was brightly lit with flourescent ceiling lights. I think someone forgot to turn the working lights off. Tut tut.

When we got back to the hotel, I discovered tons of photos like these in the camera. Yes, photos and photos of duck butts. My husband had taken it upon himself to take millions of pictures of the ducks that were floating around at It's a Small World. Unfortunately, he only managed to capture their butts. These were fast ducks!


After It's A Small World, we hopped onto the Peter Pan ride and then a carousel.

And that was day one. :) We survived!

No comments: