Sunday, March 29, 2009

Intruder Alert!

Because it's been so hot recently, we've been leaving our windows open to ventilate the place when we go out. So our windows were left open when we went out for dinner two Saturdays ago.

When we got home, my mom went into the kitchen without turning the lights on. I was just outside the kitchen taking my earrings off, PF was just about to walk into the toilet and DN was sitting on the couch in the living room, all of us within eyesight of each other. Suddenly, a blood-curdling scream erupted from the kitchen. My goodness, I'd never heard my mother scream before, and man, did she let it rip.

Now what do you do? Do you drop your earrings and run to her aid, not knowing what lies in the looming darkness? Do you run to turn the lights on to frighten away whatever has caused your mother's distressed state? Or do you whip your head towards the kitchen, stand rooted to the ground and then let it rip as well?

I'm sorry I chose option 3 mom. (I think I screamed louder than her.) In my defence, immediately after my mother screamed, I heard loud scratching on the floor moving in my direction, LIKE A GIANT RAT WAS RUNNING TOWARDS ME. At this point, let me share with you this fact : we've had a rat problem before (PF actually caught a rat in a cage!) and we had to renovate our kitchen and change the roof to flush them out. So now you understand why I screamed right?

At this point, the only thing I could think of was a big grey thing (the scratching was getting closer to me!) with a thick, long pinkish tail whipping around behind it, running over my feet, its long whiskers brushing my shins, depositing germs everywhere.

So I continued screaming. Now of course, all this happened in 3 seconds, but in rat years, that's like what, 3 days?

Anyway, I finally stopped screaming when I realised it was not a rat. It was a cat! And I think the poor thing was more scared than my mother and I put together. You should have seen it shoot across the living room and leap out the window. I swear, it lost one life there and then.

After 3 seconds of shocked silence, my mom turned the lights on and discovered the reason for our little intruder's entry. I'd left a box of food (1 polo bun and 1 egg tart) on the table. The critter had eaten half of each!

Then I remembered DN. What was the poor little guy thinking, hearing his mother and grandmother screaming their lungs out, and seeing a grey cat dash just across him and spring out of the window??? Not a word or whimper he had uttered throughout this whole debacle. But he did have this look o_O on his face.

I kicked myself for frightening him with my shriek and ran over to comfort him. "It's okay DN, are you alright, I'm sorry for scaring you, are you okay, don't be scared DN..." Suddenly, he burst into tears. Of fear I assumed, and kicked myself harder. Then, through his tears, I deciphered what he was saying.

"Cat ate my bao! Cat ate my bao! Der Nen's bao! Der Nen's bao! Cat ate my bao!"

LOL! Der Nen Der Nen, you never fail to make us laugh!

ps : DN carried on talking about HIS bao for days after it happened. LOL.

No comments: