Saturday, November 07, 2009

Weaning off the Pacifier : Day 4 + 5 + 6


No more nyeh-nyeh in the house!
No more nyeh-nyeh in the car!
No more nyeh-nyeh from today!
No more nyeh-nyeh FOREVER!

That was the anthem DN's grandma created when we embarked on this crazy journey. DN was really excited and happy as we chanted that on Day 1. It actually became very festive. He even threw his own nyeh-nyeh (happily too) in the bin when his grandma asked him to. I was so shocked he did it. I mean, it was his right arm! There are 2 possible reasons why he did it.

1. All that chanting really got him into the mood and when we cheered after he did it, he must have loved basking in all that attention and glory.

2. The poor guy didn't know what he was getting himself into.

It's probably #2 eh?

No matter. We're 6 days into this whole thing and I am happy to announce, the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter and brighter. By jove, I think I see the exit! :D

Night 4 : DN wakes up around 12am, wailing again. Starts thrashing on the bed. I quickly pick him up, cuddle him close and rock him. In less than a minute, he stops wailing and starts whining instead. Eureka! The poor chap just needs some tender lovin'! He soon falls asleep and I put him down gently. This continues on and off for the next hour until he finally dozes off into deep sleep.

Night 5 : DN continues to drift out of deep sleep between the hours of 12am and 1am. Tonight he whines in his sleep. I like whining! It sure beats wailing! PF and I leave him alone and he manages to go back to sleep! Woot! When I wake up BY MYSELF (oh, you don't know how good this feels), I check the clock and it's 6.30am. It's 6.30am! OH MY GOD! *hyperventilate*

Night 6 : We have a feeling the worst is over and I'm not afraid to go to sleep anymore. As usual, DN wakes up from deep sleep during the night and starts whining. Today there's thrashing, but we ignore him and he GOES BACK TO SLEEP! There IS a God! (and I think he likes us!)

So yup yup, it looks like DN has gotten used to life without nyeh-nyeh. He still asks for it every now and then, especially when he's cranky and in a bad mood, but it's not a persistent type of asking, you know what I mean? He just asks once or twice and when we ignore the request, he stops asking.



No more nyeh-nyeh... FOREVER!

No comments: