Tuesday, December 08, 2009

My Little Joey

DN was never a "joey" baby. I really wanted him to be one because I just loved the idea (and look) of slinging your baby around. I know how this must sound to all my no-baby friends. Don't worry! No throwing of infants is involved in this activity!

Back to slinging babies about. (lol!)

You can even get slings in different prints to match your outfits. Fashionista! (except that I'm too cheap to buy different ones so I'll be the fashion disaster in a polka-dot top and striped sling!)

DN hated the sling. Absolutely detested the thing. Everytime I tried to put him in it, he would wail and cry and scream and howl and turn red on purpose to scare me. I'd then whip him out of there and proceed to look longingly at the sling and then at my baby and wonder, "Why???".

I was REALLY sad he didn't like it. The sling just looks so... cool!

So with DS, I didn't get my hopes up. This time round, I wanted to try a pouch. It looks cooler than a sling! Again, I borrowed one from a friend before buying. On my first outing alone with DS (had tea at Bakerzin with Funny Bee), I brought the pouch AND stroller. You know, just in case.

Halfway through creme brulee and herbal tea, DS woke up. I looked at her, at the pouch and then thought, "Heck! Let's give it a shot!" So we trooped off to the baby room and after her diaper change, I slipped her into a pouch and she fell right asleep!

Okay, "slip" is not a good word. There was nothing "slippery" about how I got her into the pouch. In fact, there was much grunting, furrowing of brow and gnashing of teeth. When I finally got her into the pouch, I was panting and sweating like a rugby player. It was my first time with a pouch after all and I was so paranoid that I would put her in wrong and she would get MAJOR pins and needles. I must have put her in and taken her out at least 3 times before she looked comfortable to me. I mean, I don't want to put a baby in and take a pretzel out right?!


Snug as a bug :)
(despite being put in and taken out and put in and taken out and put in and taken out of the pouch!)

That photo was taken when DS was 5 weeks old. Since then, I've had more practice with the pouch and am happy to report that I no longer look a train wreck after putting baby in. (In my defence, the cradle carry is supposed to be the trickiest of the lot.) DS is now 3 months (and a bit) old and I've popped her into the pouch many times because... SHE LOVES THE POUCH! Yes sir-ree! She falls asleep EVERY TIME she's popped into it when we're out. This has been very very helpful because DN sometimes refuses to walk, so we pop him into the stroller and DS pops into the pouch. I finally have my own joey baby!

Just last weekend, I decided to try the kangaroo position. DS's head is pretty steady now so I thought I'd just let her try it out. After all, I'd been watching the video over and over in anticipation of this day!



DS the prairie dog (lol!)

Success! She likes it too! And I'm really happy for her because she can now look at all the exciting things that are happening around her instead of staring at my wobbly chin all day!

It's fun being a kangaroo mama!

ps : Have you joined the raffle yet?

No comments: