Thursday, December 21, 2006

EUREKA! I'VE GOT IT!

You can spot 1st-time parents a mile away. They are the ones armed to the teeth with car seat, stroller, bouncer, rocker and other assorted baby paraphenalia, half a year before the baby is born. That's us! We had everything... but the baby.

Here's the space-age car seat we got him. We feel like the "Jetsons" driving around with it in the back!



For months, every time I looked at the car seat, I would envision DN sleeping snugly in it with a heavenly smile on his face as we shuttled from home to shopping centre to grandmother's place and to all the ends of Singapore.

Heavenly smile my backside!

Unfortunately, our good friend, Mr. Ong Der Nen, prefers the other well-padded car seat in the car : MY LAP. And he doesn't fail to inform us of his preference every time we're in the car, by screaming his little head off.

The 3 of us each fight our individual battles every time we go out.

PF's battle : How to drive to destination as quick as possible without getting a ticket / hitting other vehicles along the way / saying four-letter words in English or Hokkien.

My battle : How to placate screaming infant with squeaky teddy bear / rattle / story book / stupid funny faces and voices, without saying four-letter words in English or Hokkien.

DN's battle (the easiest) : How to get out of car seat

-_-

Humph!

Anyway, I've got it! I know how to placate screaming infant in car seat!

I sing! We were in the car the other day and out of desperation, I started warbling "Old MacDonald Had A Farm" at the top of my voice, trying to drown out DN's crying and GOOD GOD, IT WORKED! He stopped crying and just stared at me.

And I was off like a rocket!

"Old MacDonald had a cow / goat / chicken / duck / donkey / sheep / dog / cat, E-I-E-I-O!"

Thank goodness it was only an 8-minute drive coz we had run out of farm animals and were throwing in chimpanzees, llamas, guanacos and whales. (PF's contributions, he-who-has-obviously-never-been-on-a-farm-before)

And, thank goodness I said "no" a coupla weeks back when my mom asked if we wanted to bring DN on a trip to Malacca. E-I-E-I-O for 2.5 hrs?? DN will be so stressed that he will arrive in Malacca as bald as an egg.

Anyway now, I sing to him ALL THE TIME!

1. In his bouncer


DN : "Hmm, she's started singing again."











2. After his bath


DN : "Thanks for covering my private bits!"









3. In his rocker


DN : "Heh heh! Mom stopped for a breather!"









4. Before bed


DN : "That's enough Mom! I want to sleep!"

No comments: