Friday, February 16, 2007

DN the Bookworm

When DN was about 2 months old, we set up a little reading corner in his room. It's not much, just a chair and a lamp from Ikea, but I think it's downright cosy! Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he'll inherit our love for reading instead of our laziness, tardiness and our-inability-to-save-$$$-ness.


It's cosy right!

We strive to read to him every night but it all really depends on how His Royal Highness is feeling. You know how royalty can get right? (Unreasonable, inflexible and demanding!) HRH can get really cranky at bedtime... grrr...











Anyway, we started off with "Moo, Cow!" by Salina Yoon, a book I got on offer at Borders when I was about 6 months pregnant. (I think it was only 5 bucks, ha!)


You can't tell from this pic, but the cow's pink "nose-area" (golly, what IS that part called? A muzzle? A snout?) on the cover is furry! (How far from reality can you get?)

Anyway, "Moo, Cow!" lost its appeal very quickly. (It only has 5 pages ok!!)





So, to save my sanity (and obviously not my $$ haha!) I bought more books...


Ta-dah! DN's little libray!











When he was about 3.5 months old, just about the time he had better control over his hands, he started reaching out for the pages and turning them. I told PF, "Look! Look! We have a genius!" (Yes, my head is that big.)

When we read to him now, he'll usually start blabbering too, as if he's reading along. And he still doesn't know how to adjust his volume for a reading voice, so imagine a little baby sitting on my lap screaming at Dr Seuss. Hilarious.

Anyway, I can't seem to stop buying books. Couldn't resist getting this soft book yesterday because I used to have it as a child too!


"Are You My Mother?" by P.D. Eastman










It's about a little bird that fell out of its nest (and didn't crush its skull on the ground below!!) and went around looking for its mother who had gone off to look for food. (and probably worried his mother shitless, the ungrateful thing)


Come on, how could I not buy it? It comes with a little bird that you can "pop" out of the egg!



And on the last page, you can tuck the little bird under the mama bird's wing!

It's "cute" with a capital "Q".



Super excited about my new buy, I plonked DN on my lap last night, knowing that he would appreciate the little bird as much as me. Yes he did. He put it in his mouth straight away.

-_-


Here's DN looking like the cat who ate the bird. (literally) All this photo needs now is a little feather on his chin.

DN : "I eat little birds."














All this reminds me of that time when I brought Flash out for a walk and he ate a dead bird.

YAHHHHHHCK...!

But I'll leave that for another time when I have nothing else to blog about.

No comments: