Sunday, March 11, 2007

I've found my calling!

And it is, "Baby-Food Maker", or BFM for short. Never before has such an activity provided such pleasure and satisfaction for me. It ranks as high as peeling the sunburnt flakes off PF's forehead! (he went fishing on Wednesday)

DN has been eating rice cereal for the past 6 days and because it tastes like crap (I made PF try it), we thought we'd introduce him to the wonderful world of fructose!

So I hijacked 2 soft Anjou pears from my grandmother's fridge (thanks mama!) and gleefully brought them home. After DN retired for the night, I took out our Philips blender and the baby cube trays I bought in December (!!) and set about pureeing pears - DN's dessert snack for the entire week.

Steps to making Pear Puree

1. Peel pears and chop into small chunks.
2. Boil pear chunks on a low flame until soft.
3. Transfer chunks and liquid (all the nutrients are in there) to blender.
4. Rub hands in glee and excitement before turning on blender.
5. Become frantic as pear juice starts to leak out of darn machine.
*&@@!! All the pear-nutrients are now on the kitchen counter!
6. Learn to ignore rivulets of pear juice because short of driving to Mustafa at 1130pm to buy a new blender, nothing else could be done.
7. Transfer beautiful pear puree into baby cubes (to be frozen and then used throughout the week).
8. Resist urge to eat up all of DN's pear puree.
9. Reward oneself by licking up the remnants of DN's pear puree.

I love it! I love it! I love it! It's like playing masak-masak FOR REAL! Now I am finally old and wise enough to handle dangerous equipment with sharp blades (peeler, knife, blender attachment). No more plastic peas, apples and steaks. I can now play with real food and real babies!

But unfortunately, it doesn't pay (literally) to be a BFM. :(


Trust me, looks like crap, but tastes divine!








Here are the rest of the trays I bought in December. If 2 pears yield 5 cubes worth of puree, I'll need 12 more pears to fill up this lot!!!

But I love these little things. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

1. Each cube can contain exactly 1 oz of pureed food. (don't know why this pleases me so much since I love my 'kgs' and 'gs')

2. They are individual cubes! You can just pop one out of the freezer without disturbing the rest. Can't do that with an ice tray can u? *smug face*

3. The tray has little pockets and all the cubes sit so nicely in their little pockets.

4. When you snap on/off the cube's lid, it makes a really nice *pock* sound.

Money well spent!

No comments: