Sunday, March 04, 2007

DN's First Meal of Rice Cereal

WHO recommends breastmilk for the first 6 months of a baby's life.

Nah, here you go WHO, DN and I did it! DN has been on total breastmilk for 6 months! :D But what's the big deal right?

Qn : Isn't it natural, and easy, for all mothers to breastfeed?
Ans : HA HA HA HA HA HA HA (i.e. NO)

When I was pregnant, I was more worried about how to hide my popping-out belly button (it looks like a third nipple ok!!) than how I was going to breastfeed a newborn. I wasn't worried because I thought all the knowledge of how to breastfeed/carry/bathe/change the baby would just come flooding into my brain the moment they plonked him into my arms. Er, no. Nothing came flooding into my brain except, "THANK GOD IT'S OVER! I'm SO not doing that again!"

You know all those pictures of a mother smiling lovingly at her baby as she's breastfeeding, both in pure white and bathed in a soft glow?

Utter nonsense.

It's because of those pictures that I thought breastfeeding was going to be a walk in the park. Humph. A walk on red-hot coals, more like it. Breastfeeding was PAINFUL! The first month, every time I breastfed DN, I was stamping my feet like Sea Biscuit.

Anyway, the worst is over and I can't believe I actually made it to the 6-month mark. :D We now have the permission of WHO to feed DN solids.

So yesterday morning, I sterilised DN's bowl and spoon, took out the box of Brown Rice Cereal I bought in January (!!) and placed his Bumbo on the dining table. (PF came home a bit early from work too. Yes, we were both very excited.)

1pm finally rolled round and we started. Although DN's bib ate most the cereal, he remained pretty clean throughout. *beam*beam* He ate about 50% of what PF prepared, then lost interest and struggled to climb out of the Bumbo. When we transferred everything into a bottle and offered it to him though, he didn't refuse, the greedy (and lazy) little pig(let)!


Feeding Paraphernalia For Eating Experiment

Clockwise (from top left)

Test Subject (looking appropriately like a guinea pig) - Baby cereal - Mug to heat up milk - Milk for mixing with the cereal - Feeding dish and spoon - Cup of water for feeder (us!)



DN : "Did she just call me a guinea pig?"







DN : "Haha, it's ok. They're cute!"










Guinea Pig : "Can we get started ALREADY??"











Mixing the milk into the cereal










Ta-dah! Wholesome and delicious rice cereal for our little guinea pig.










The guinea pig, all bibbed up and ready to go.









Eeeeewwwww...!










Guinea Pig : "You'll have to give me one meee-leee-onnn dollars to finish this. Muahahaha."

(see his little pinky)


Guinea Pig : "No more!"





Guinea Pig : "Ah, my dear bottle. Where have you been all my life?"

No comments: