Friday, November 14, 2008

Duh!

When PF and DN get here, I'll still have 2 weeks of school, and that's 9-5pm Mondays to Thursdays and 9-12pm on Fridays. So I've been in a tizzy over what they're going to do while I'm in school. Winchester isn't exactly hip-central (read : there's only 1 fastfood outlet here - McDonald's) and the weather isn't exactly balmy here. (read : it's freakin' cold!) so they'll probably be spending a lot of time in the tiny, boring flat. That's why I bought the ELC toy, those books and have been keeping junk for art and craft. I don't even have a TV! So for two days, I was going about a happy, oblivious life while the financial world collapsed around me... but don't write me off just yet, I know who the new US president is!

Okay sorry, that was quite lame. Even a mushroom knows who the new president is. -_-

Anyway, I'm no longer freaking out about DN being bored out of his pants while he's here. And the solution was (literally) right in front of me all this while - my school library! I was there a few days ago to borrow some musical instruments for one of my projects and when I got to the floor with all the instruments, it was like stepping into second-hand ELC heaven.

Woot! Woot! Woot! Woot! Woot!

My hands were literally shaking with joy as I took these photos. When I found out that I could borrow up to 30 items on my library card, I wanted to leap around the library. And when I found out I could loan out items for up to a month, it made my goddam fees seem worth it! Almost. Erm, okay, NO. But it will help me feel (a little) better about my fees, knowing that I can stock up a play room at home, for FREE!

I can borrow big books. And these are literally BIG books. I remember using these when I taught in a primary school, but using them as the teacher was quite tricky. They're HUGE! And because I'm so short, the minute I sat down on the chair in front of the kids, the book came up to my eyebrows. But the little ones used to love them, so oh well.

I can borrow lego out too! *tremble*tremble*

Water toys! Okay, these might not be that ideal for 10 degree weather. Next!

Big-piece jigsaw puzzles! Sorry DN, but mommy is going to stimulate that brain of yours. Big time!

Ah... these I know DN will love. Fake food! There are bags and bags of fruits, vegetables and meat and there's this pizza set that I want to borrow for him. According to PF, he "makes" pizza every night now and strangely enough, it's become a bedtime routine. He puts all sorts of things onto his pizza - chicken, pork, eggs, carrots(!!). He then puts it in an imaginary oven (under the pillow) and PF will count to 10 before allowing him to take the pizza out. Then they feast! What a simple activity yes? But it's taught him his numbers, believe it or not!

There're other toys I can borrow out too - maths toys, geography toys, musical instruments. I'm going to make the most out of my school fees!
* My university happens to be a teaching college too. :)

No comments: