Monday, January 11, 2010

Chef DN


I'm sure those of you out there with preschoolers will agree that role-playing is super super fun. And I truly believe that one of the best things to get a toddler is a kitchen set. When I was younger, one of my cousins had a kitchen set and even though I was ten years older than her, and had exceeded the age recommended on the box, that didn't stop me from drooling over (and on!) her play kitchen. I mean, come on, plastic peas and plastic steak! (You will never burn your food!) I don't know what it is about me and miniature food. We like each other very much.

When I saw this set going for 10 pounds on eBay last year, I snapped it up. Yes. 10 pounds! And that's not just for the tap okay? It's 10 pounds for the whole thingamajig PLUS crockery and cooking utensils. That same amount here would buy you a fake egg. Of course, God is fair, so it's now stuck in my friend's parents' attic in the UK because there was no way in hell we could have squeezed it into our luggage. Since PF and I do intend to ship it back here, erm eventually (we just need to get our act together... what's new?), I've resisted buying a new one here. No one will sell you an ELC kitchen set for SG$24. NO ONE. They will however, sell you a second-hand one with stickers and pen marks all over for close to the price of a brand-new one. -__-

So what do we do?

We make one! Haha!


We always have spare boxes lying around because I shop online too much I'm a firm believer in reducing, reusing and recyling. So I found one that's the perfect height for DN and taped the sides up so it's sturdy.



PF then cut two doors in the front. Tadah! An oven!


Next, I measured and cut out white pieces of paper to wrap the thing up in. I know brown is cool, but the box had all sorts of nonsense written on it.


Circular cardboard discs wrapped in foil become cooking hobs! Clever right! It wasn't my idea. -__-



 Chef DN and his little cooking stove. It still looks very bare. I need to add some nobs and draw in some doors. The apron is an art smock from Aunty Debra and the hat is courtesy of Mummy and some white paper!


   DN loves playing "restaurant". I ordered chicken. Heh.



 While waiting for my chicken, he gave me an appetiser (sushi) and even thought about my entertainment. "You can play with this (dog) first, okay?" So thoughtful, LOL!



 My chicken with vegetables!


"Stop Mummy! There's a fly in your soup!"


No comments: