Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Dances with Wolves

Do you remember Dances With Wolves and Kevin Costner's butt? If you do, then you're probably a 70's baby or older. High five! Do you know, I actually remember watching it with my BFF? It was after our Sec 3 exams and we bought circle (yes! CIRCLE!) seats at Capitol Theatre. I can still see the ticket auntie scribbling our seat numbers down in the ticket booklet with that red peel-away crayon. Remember that?? And I think our ticket cost $4.50 or something crazy like that. Good times, good times.

In the movie, Kevin Costner was christianed "Dances With Wolves" because he, erm, danced with some wolves. There was another dude called "Wind In His Hair" who apparently ran (or rode his horse??) really fast and always looked like he was in some Sunsilk ad. There was a "Smiles A Lot" too. Poor chap sounds like a Care Bear though, haha! And don't get me started on "Kicking Bird". Quite an unfortunate name for the tribe's Holy Man, if you ask me.

Anyway, the whole Sioux indian naming thing got me thinking. Wouldn't it be cool if my kids had red indian names? We'd be the coolest parents when registering their births, they'd be the coolest kids at the playground AND they'll never get called on by their teachers during lessons. They'll thank me for that. The only problematic situations I can think of are:
  • when I'm pissed off with them (what a mouthful!)
  • when I'm trying to shout warnings to them (by the time I call their names, it'll be too late!)
PF and I had great fun thinking up names for them and have narrowed it down to three for DN and three for DS. You help me decide which ones to go for.

Ong Der Nen or...
  1. Whines Too Much
  2. Still Fits In Bumbo
  3. Wants Plaster On Every Mosquito Bite (see pic)
Ong Der Shyen or...
  1. Sucks On Toe
  2. Squeaks When Put Down
  3. Flips Over And Cannot Flip Back

Big toe en route to mouth

For PF, I think these are very apt.
  1. Watch TV Ignore World
  2. Writes Complaint Letters
  3. Must Buy Wife More Presents
And these suit me I think.
  1. Shops Online Again
  2. Not Agile Anymore
  3. Too Much Bak Kwa
What's your red indian name? ;)

No comments: