Wednesday, January 27, 2010

SNGS Fundraiser

I guess this post is really for SNGS old girls, but read on anyway if you're not because this post contains the phrases "banana milk", "lucky draw" and "white worms". And they're all connected. You got to read on to find out how!

I was in SNGS for 11 years, from pre-primary all the way to sec four. Yes! Pre-primary! In those days, some schools took students in at pre-primary (or kindergarten 2) instead of at primary one and SNGS was one of them. When I think "pre-primary", I always remember the uniform.

  Check out those pockets! So retro!

I loved it because it was SO comfy. And because we were virtuous little convent girls, we wore bloomers. Yes, puffy little blue bloomers under our dresses. I hated them things though and would rip them right off the minute I got home. God skipped me when he handed out poise and decorum.

Su Ling from Pupsik actually found the old school uniform tailor! Who still had a bunch of that original checked, blue fabric!! Who agreed to make a whole batch of them for sale!!!

So, if you're an ex-SNGS girl, go get one for your daughter / niece / friend's daughter / fun because there are limited pieces of these for sale and all proceeds go to the school's rebuilding fund. Just click on the button below to order.


When I think "pre-primary", I also remember our old school at Victoria Street, where CHIJMES now is, and that we shared the campus with CHIJ. I was there from pre-primary until primary two. I can still remember the school hall with its wooden floors and two big murals on both sides of the stage. I think one of them was a picture of two convent girls playing badminton. I remember the tiny canteen with wooden benches and twenty cent noodle soup. I remember the string of haunted toilets at the back, with one cubicle that was ALWAYS shut. And I remember giving that toilet a wide berth because it had to be the most haunted right? They locked it for our safety! (Why do I remember all these things and forget that DN has water play every Tuesday and forget to pack his swim gear? Argh!)

I also remember playing in the school field, holding hands and going to the toilet as a class, taking naps during school time on raffia mats and getting a tetrapak of milk every day. We got four flavours - chocolate (woot!), plain (eew), strawberry (double eew) and banana (HURL!). Every day was like a lucky draw - which flavour were we going to get that day? And because it was UHT milk, our milk was always served at room temperature. Now I can deal with chocolate milk at room temperature, but banana??? *shiver shiver*

Even Funny Bee, who now drinks like a litre of milk a day, couldn't deal with the banana milk. In sec four (I think), she admitted to me that she used to hide her tetrapak of banana milk in the bin where the raffia mats were always stored. One day, the teacher found the little stash which had started to smell a little funky. Funny Bee did what any other six year old would have done. Nothing. And I just found out from another friend that she used to leave her banana milk in her bag for days, until there were white worms.

Looks like I wasn't the only one who didn't get the poise and decorum hand-outs!

Well, no points for guessing which school DS will be attending. I know she'll have her own basket of poignant memories like I do. Sigh... if only I could sneak DN in somehow!

No comments: