Wednesday, March 28, 2007

To the best mother in the world!
It's my mom's birthday today. (Happy Birthday Mom!)

During pregnancy, I truly believed my maternity leave days would be filled with leisurely afternoons at Marmalade Pantry/Toast/PS Cafe/Book Cafe (the plan was to go to a new place every day). I would be reading Wuthering Heights whilst sipping Earl Grey and nibbling on a scone, and the baby would be cooing gently and playing with his toes in the pram. Of course, I would have lost all pregnancy weight and have arms that don't vibrate long after you have stopped waving.

Talk about being delusional!

The arms are still floppy, the only literature I read now is while I'm in the toilet and DN? Coo? *prrrthhhfffttt!!!*

Motherhood is filled with sleepless nights, eye(luggage)bags, sour-smelling babies (and sour-smelling mothers), crying babies, leaky diapers, puke everywhere except on the bib, crazy $$$ spent on paediatrician bills ($32 for 2 creams, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?) and on and on...

So that's why I love my mother so much. She did this THREE TIMES! I am humbled. I am so ashamed to say that I never fully appreciated all that she's done for us until I gave birth. Sad, but true.

I was in JC when my mom was pregnant with my brother and NOT ONCE did I hear her complain about anything. We didn't have a car then, so we were "bus-ing" it everywhere too. She was also working full-time and still taking care of the household. Me? I was like a broken record.

"Aiyoh, the weight is killing me! My back is aching! Why is it so hot! PF, can you massage my feet? I look like a baby elephant! PF, do I look like a baby elephant? Be honest, I look like a baby elephant right! When will all this be overrrrr???"

On hindsight, I was worse than an Ace of Base CD, on repeat.

After giving birth, I spent the first month at home with my mom and grandmother. Oh, the first month was bad. I was sweaty from all the ginger I was eating, grumpy coz I still looked like I had another baby in there, exhausted coz DN was waking up 3 times a night and in pain from the breastfeeding.

If it weren't for my mom, I wouldn't be breastfeeding now. She was the one who told me not to give up and kept me focussed on the merits of breastmilk. She even contacted an ex-colleague (who's still breastfeeding her 1.5 yr old girl) and asked her to speak to me and encourage me not to give up.

My mom is amazing! Mummy, thank you for bearing with all 3 of us and our nonsense for the past 32 years. Happy Birthday!



... and that's MY mom!

Chocolate Fudge Cake from Lana Cake House (yums)

We all ate the sides, and left the middle untouched!


DN : "Yippee, a cake for me! A cake for me!"

DN : "Mmm... my cake looks good!"

DN : "And you're all singing me a song? I'm touched!"

DN : "To the best mot... wait... a... minute...!"

No comments: