Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Kapish?

It's scary how much DN understands us. Here's an example.

We were shopping at Taka today and as usual, after sitting in the stroller for some time, DN started asking to be freed from the evil clutches of the stroller let down and carried. I don't know why he doesn't like being chauffeured from point to point SEATED. I guess he doesn't realise that the next time he gets chauffeured like that will be when he's 80, shrivelled and 4 ft tall.

When he wants to be carried, he will pat his chest with both hands, reach out to the appointed carry-er and say, "pao pao". When he did that just now, I told him, "Okay DN, Mommy will carry you later okay? Let's take the lift down first." DN nodded and we waited for the lift.

Now, of course, I had no intention of carrying him once we went down. (I'm such a liar!) I was just hoping he would forget. But he didn't! The minute the lift doors opened and we walked out to the street, he patted his chest again and reached out to me. I was like, "Wha...?! He understood!?"

Humph. Coincidence. Never mind. Try bluffing him again. "DN, Mommy will carry you later okay? Let's walk down the street to Borders first okay? I'll carry you when we get there." DN nodded and we set off again (me keeping my fingers crossed he would forget).

So we walked from Taka to Wheelock Place. The minute we walked through the doors at Wheelock Place, DN looked at me, patted his chest and reached out to me again. Woah Nelly, he understood! Looks like our days of baby-bluffing are over, and the days of code-speak are here to stay.

Code-speak? Let me explain.

For the past 2-3months or so, PF and I have been sounding very much like secret agent spelling bees.

PF : "Okay, you distract him, I'll keep the C-R-A-C-K-E-R-S."
Me : "Okay, make sure you keep the P-U-T-I-N-G (pacifier) out of sight."
DN : "???"

or

PF : "Where are you going?"
Me : "I'm going to throw this B-O-X away. If he sees it, it'll remind him of the T-O-Y he's not supposed to P-L-A-Y with."
DN : "Guitar!"

No comments: